To provide updates at Kelvyn Park School from Instruction, Culture & Climate, Parents & Community, and Operations lenses to provide the LSC with a holistic understanding of the organizational improvement efforts.
- Provided an ongoing, focused professional learning plan that intentionally develops teacher leaders, teacher teams, and instructional practice.
- Redesigned the Instructional Coach’s position to focus on instruction.
- Established clear procedures for the First Day of School. 100% of teachers taught on the first day.
- Regularly communicate the happenings of the school in weekly bulletin, Pencil It In. Highlight strong teacher practices from the week before to encourage a culture of professional learners.
- Diverse Learners teacher resigned during the week of 8/26. Placed reassigned teacher in the classroom while I interview and hire.
- Additional Case Manager position awarded to the school on 9/10. Need to interview and hire.
- Two security officer positions have been suspended by the district for unknown reasons. Operating currently with three.
- Temporary Security Officer position posted. Interviews occurring. Will hire before next LSC meeting in October.
Culture & Climate:
- Hired Culture & Climate Coordinator Luz Robles. Designed her position to incorporate restorative justice practices and incorporate social-emotional learning coaching and development in students with misbehavior issues.
- Redesigned dean’s role to support the work of the Culture & Climate Coordinator in integrating restorative justice practices and SEL coaching during instances of misbehavior.
- Rebranded Room 099 to be the Student Resource Center (SRC) to be a catch-all for anything students may need (i.e. IDs, personal issues, turning in forms).
- Restructured security schedule to ensure supervision in all parts of the building—especially in the cafeteria, during entry procedures, and dismissal.
- Designed and distributed an SRC memo to teachers, staff, and students on the first day of school that outlines all major policies in the school: dress code, cell phones, locker assignments, etc.
- Conducting one-on-one meetings with all staff members (teachers, staff, support staff). Aim to be done before end of September and will present findings of Listening Tour to LSC at October meeting.
Parents & Community:
- Moved Parent Office from the third floor to the first floor (Room 103) to improve visibility and accessibility.
- Established strong, working relationship with Alderman of the 31st Ward Felix Cardona. He has been to Kelvyn Park three times since the start of the school year on 9/3.
- Will release a Parent Events Calendar by the end of September. One event per month.
- Have met with community partners: Eugene DeJesus of New Hope Church, BUILD (SEL Supports), Umoja (SEL Supports), One Goal (SEL and post-secondary supports), Veronica Bedoya (community member and founder of Spread Love), and LSNA (scheduled for next week).